Thursday 23 October 2008

sand dunes and rifle ranges take some dodging!

I continued my tour of the north with my bike.. this week I've had work meetings, and was supposed to cycle miles in between them! Didn't quite work out like that - autumn has set in with a vengeance, and rain stopped play on many occasions.


On one occasion though I was determined. I met some people in Formby, and then set off to cycle the 7 or so miles to Crosby, to check out some sculptures on the beach and have a meeting with colleagues. Armed with.. err, nothing actually, no map, no provisions, and no local knowledge, I figured I could head to the sea, turn left and go along the coast until I reached the iron men on Crosby beach.


What I didn't factor in was sand dunes, a National Trust 'no cycling' rule, and a rifle range. The first two I could have coped with somehow, the rifle range threw me somewhat, and I beat a hasty retreat to the nearest train station! The trip to Crosby was well worth it though - check out the strange but lovely sculpture - the beach there stretches for miles and has dozens of them.


So - only 8 days to go! Do I have insurance, a visa, all my camping gear and supplies? Err, that would be a no. Do I have a nice easy week in which to prepare all these things? Again, no! As usual it will be a mad rush to get everything done - but I'm only £41 short on the sponsorship money - so all those lovely people who have been promising to sponsor me for months, now would be a great time! www.justgiving.com/lee_cycles_ethiopia

No comments: