Wednesday 24 September 2008

Fundraising bonanza - a taste of East Africa!

Well, i'm on a fundraising high. Lots of colleagues and friends turned out last night to my Taste of East Africa evening, hosted by Kitfo House Restaurant in Vauxhall. If you're in the area*, you have to go along and try their Ethiopian menu - it's the best. The friendly lads who run the restaurant will give you a demonstration on how to eat the Ethiopian way - with your hands.

Thanks to Kitfo House, I raised £200 towards my total! Thanks to everyone who helped, cooked, and to those who turned up and ate! It was a really special night for me - not only did I raise money for Maternity Worldwide, my friends and colleagues got to come and experience a bit of Ethiopian culture, food and music. Getting excited to be in my fave country again :-)

*Kitfo House restaurant is at 49 South Lambeth Road, Vauxhall, London, SW8 1RH.

On another fundraising high - today I had to eat my words! I have revelled in calling my clever little sister a scrounging student for the past 2 years. But now she's started her final year, she seems to have left the 'poor student' badge behind, and has massively generously sponsored me 40 quid. I was really really touched to see that huge amount - and even more touched that she apparently couldn't ask for a better sister. Perhaps a sister who spent less time training and fundraising and more time visiting her in Stoke would be a better sister - but fear not Amester, when this ride is over I'm reclaiming my life!

So.. inevitably, as one thing rises another falls.. and my training is seriously behind! Look at me - more at home in an Ethiopian scarf in London than on a bike in the Ethiopian highlands!

However.. I've got big plans on that front - and this weekend I'm doing some mega bike rides around the south of England. I have to go to the Isle of Wight for work, so Saturday will see me pedalling those feet around unexplored (by me) country and coastal roads, getting those legs in shape. Then come Sunday my co-cyclist and good mate Justina and I are going to cycle to Hastings! The next 5 days will be spent pedalling up as many hills as humanly possible!
Good job my brother bought me some padded shorts for my birthday.. thanks Dan!

No comments: